Welcome to Culinary Historians of Canada! We’re open to everyone who wants to know more about the history of cooks and cooking, foods and foodways in Canada.
Each fall, the CHC sponsors two heritage preserving categories at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair, held in Toronto: Heritage Jam and Heritage Pickle. Recipes must be from a historical source dating from 1967 or earlier. To review all the entry rules, download the 2016 competition booklet.
This year’s entry closing date is Monday, September 26. The judges’ decisions are announced on Tuesday, October 25.
- Saturday, August 13: CHC will visit Stratford Farmers’ Market (Stratford, Ontario) with food samples, recipes and cookbooks for sale.
- Saturday, August 20: CHC will visit The Stop Farmers’ Market at Wychwood Barns (Toronto) with food samples, recipes and cookbooks for sale.
- Saturday, August 27: CHC will visit The Stop Farmers’ Market at Wychwood Barns (Toronto) with food samples, recipes and cookbooks for sale.
- Saturday, September 17: CHC will visit the Thornhill Village Festival (Thornhill, Ontario) with food samples, recipes and cookbooks for sale.
- Saturday, October 15: Annual General Meeting!
See our Upcoming Events page for more details.
Be sure to read the August issue of our free monthly e-newsletter, Digestible Bits & Bites! Don’t forget to join our discussions on our Facebook page and read these pages, where CHC members:
- share back copies of their newsletter and details of upcoming meetings and events
- publish historic recipes
- direct you to working historic kitchens in Canadian museums
- provide a wealth of other information for food-history buffs, including a bibliography of Canadian culinary history sources and links to key international food-history web sites.