Upcoming CHC Events
Melon: A Global History
Monday, July 11, 7 to 9 p.m.
Museum Morsels Heritage Culinary Club at Parkwood Estate (270 Simcoe Street North, Oshawa) and the CHC present Sylvia Lovegren, author of Melon, A Global History (Reaktion Books, 2016, part of the University of Chicago Press Edible series) in the Parkwood Carriage House.
Besides serving on the CHC board, Sylvia is a freelance writer, a cookbook collector and the author of Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads (2005). She has contributed numerous articles to The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America.
“Sweet, succulent, cooling, and often with a beguiling floral fragrance, a ripe melon can be one of the most delicious things you sink your teeth into. As Sylvia Lovegren shows in this book, the melon’s complex flavor profile is matched by an equally complex history.”
- Admission: $10.
- Autographed copies of Melon: A Global History will be available for $25 ($20 for CHC members).
- Advance registration is required. Call 905-433-4311 for tickets.
Jordan St.John, the leading expert on the history of brewing in Ontario and author of the books Ontario Beer and Lost Breweries of Toronto, will present a talk about Toronto’s brewing history in the auditorium at the Ralph Thornton Centre at 765 Queen Street East (just east of Broadview Avenue) in Toronto.
Jordan’s latest book, The Ontario Craft Beer Guide (co-authored with Robin LeBlanc), will be available for sale. Expect some beer sampling, too!
- Admission: $25 (general). $20 (members). $18 (students & seniors). Because liquor will be served, must be 19 or over to to attend.
Later This Year
- September 17: CHC will visit the Thornhill Village Festival with food samples, recipes and cookbooks for sale.
- October 15: Mark your calendars for our Annual General Meeting!
- November 11: Our annual Remembance Day appearance at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair. This year the theme is the Home Front during World War II.
- November 14: The Culinary Historians of Canada is sponsoring the 2015 Taste Canada Hall of Fame Awards / Le Temple de la Renommée Les Saveurs du Canada. There are two annual Hall of Fame Awards: one to recognize current living authors and the other for authors deserving of posthumous appreciation. Come to the Taste Canada Awards Ceremony to celebrate this year’s inductees!
- Early December: CHC will visit Frost Fair at Fort York with food samples, recipes and cookbooks for sale
- February 18, 2017: The 10th annual Mad for Marmalade, Crazy for Citrus!